Sunday, August 14, 2011

Autralian New Muslimah

Why did I revert to Islam?

I was brought up as an Anglican Christian. I was christened at six weeks of age before I could speak. Was sent to Church every Sunday from five years old – sang in Church choir at age 12-13. At age 13, Priest asked me to become Confirmed, which is a Christian Ceremony. I refused, saying I did not believe in Christianity or the Holy Bible, which I regarded as like a jigsaw puzzle with pieces missing. It was a very serious matter for a Christian to refuse to be Confirmed.

Nevertheless, I continued to believe in God and prayed often – whenever I was sad or anyone was sick or in need, although not as much as Muslims do.

I searched for another religion, but nothing appealed to me.

As I got older, I started to question myself - what do I want/need? I decided the love of God is what I need. I bought a large Morganite gemstone to attract divine love and the love of God.

A brochure on Islam ('What do you see?') arrived in my letterbox shortly after, offering a free Qur'an. I almost threw the brochure in the garbage bin, but stopped and thought “Why not!”, I'll have a look at this book.

The Qur'an arrived and I searched in the index for "jihad" and "infidels", but couldn't find either in the Qur'an index. I dislike these two words which are used often by the media.

I started to read the Qur'an (English translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali) and was surprised to find my God is talking in another book. I know how he talks from studying the Holy Bible – he is a violent God, and he is a jealous God – beautiful words in Qur'an. This book, the Qur'an is very eloquent. It is running parallel with the Holy Bible. God is telling me how to live. It is filling in the missing pieces for me. I cried tears of joy.

I read the Qur'an each night before bedtime and it took four months to read it all. When I finished it, I decided to read it again, and again and now it has become a happy habit to read the Qur'an after my night time bath and before I go to sleep.

After seven months of careful consideration, I decided to revert to Islam. This is the religion I want to be part of. Everything about this religion is me and how I think and feel, my love for other people, animals, plants and all creation.

I feel very happy and proud that I am a Muslim. I feel a lot of inner peace now that I have found my God, Allah.


Alhamdulillah
Jameela Mahreen
Source : Sunni Forum